where hope grows... introduction

This blog is about my life, my journeys and my struggles. It will be filled with hope. It will be filled with love. It will be filled with strength. It will be filled with courage and challenge.

This is a new experience for me. It is my hope that this forum will provide a space where I can self reflect, and perhaps, if it seems interesting enough to someone out there on the infinite internet, connect.

Writing down ones thought, feelings and anything really helps people to feel more accountable and truthful to themselves. It helps people to decipher and clarify these thoughts and it works as a method of counselling. For myself, this type of writing can be embarrassing and frightful. It is for these reasons that I am doing this blog, to try something new, to have a new experience, to see what can come of it, to conquer a fear, to Learn.






Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Empathy... a daily struggle

The great gift of human beings is that we have the power of empathy. Meryl Streep


Empathy.

People chose to be empathetic or not. I personally believe that it takes great energy to be empathetic. I also believe that some people just do not have the ability, they do not have a mind that will allow them to see other peoples perspectives or to be understanding of others. Some people are just not empathetic.

As a teacher I feel that it is a very valuable and extremely important trait to carry. I have collegues who do not demonstrate empathy towards students, they judge them, they accuse them and they are worse teachers for that.

Today I have struggled with empathy. I have struggled when trying to be understanding, when trying to see it from other peoples point of views. I take pride in the fact that I am willing to wait, to think, to try and understand someone elses point of view. I take pride in the fact that I have empathy skills, I feel for my students, I feel for strangers who are rude to me, to people who do not tip when I waitress, I feel for those people. I wonder about them. I always think what could be going on in their lives to make them act this way towards me. I realize that it is not about me. 


But today empathy had become hard work. 

I am sitting in the hospital. Saturday there was supposed to be surgery- did not happen.
Sunday nothing. Fine. Today, Monday, there was supposed to be a biopsy an MRI, several tests. It is now 11 am, and nothing.

Empathy.

The surgeon came in. At least that is who I assume he was because he did not introduce himself or why he was there. A smaller girl was with him, and she went over the “case” gave him all of the details. When my mother’s last surgeries were, why she was here, the problems she was having.
When he had heard all of this he sat on my mother’s bed and lifted her shirt to feel for “something.” Her scarred and disfigured abdomen was presented. Four surgeries. Four levels of scarring. Four times where they had to use staples to close that area of her body.

He then asked a few questions and said, yes this is bit of a enigma. Said he was going to go look at the tests already done, the cat scan, whatever else they had done and left, the small girl following behind like a puppy.

He was gone. We knew nothing. All we can do is wait.

Empathy.

It was something like a scene from Greys Anatomy coming into the hospital today. I was in the elevator with several different “students” one who dropped her pager and giggled that it would hard to get it to stay on. They were all clearly very excited to be here. Everyone else in the elevator did not have the same sentiments. Everyone else in the elevator was not happy to be there.  I was shocked by their lack of ... lack of i don’t know.. lack of realization... lack of empathy... lack of understanding... just lacking.
The greys Anatomy scenes continued throughout the day, young students all smiles and chatting. When i went down to the cafeteria I saw the large and impressive surgeon sitting chatting on his cell phone while my mother was upstairs. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting.

Empathy

But then I thought, maybe he was chatting on the phone about my mother. He did say it was a bit of an enigma. Maybe he was consulting someone. Still the smile on his face while he was one the phone was not helping me convince myself. Not helping me to believe the reason he was there, smiling was because he was working. Working to help my mother.

1:32. pm 

The MRI was supposed to happen at 8am. They just came to ask us to fill out some forms so she can start to go down, or the least be on the list. 


Empathy













No comments:

Post a Comment